Sunday, June 7, 1992

7-9 June 1992: Washington, DC

We spent three full days in Washington, DC. Of all the large cities we visited, this was the one where we spent the most time and saw the most attractions.

We had breakfast at our hotel each morning, then we would walk two blocks to the Chinatown Metrorail subway station to begin a long day of sightseeing. Metrorail, with its system of underground and above ground trains, was an efficient way to move about the city, so we left the car parked in the hotel lot except for one day when we traveled outside the city.

Friendship Arch in Washington, DC's Chinatown

I don't precisely remember the exact order that we saw things in Washington, DC or on which days, so I'll simply present you with what we saw in no particular order.

We took a tour of the U.S. Capitol. It's a beautiful old building, one where history has seeped into its very foundations, with some lovely statues, murals, and paintings inside.

U.S. Capitol

U.S. Capitol

Interior of the U.S. Capitol

We got to sit in the visitor's gallery in the Senate Chamber, and we were just in time to hear Ted Kennedy give a speech about funding a drug rehabilitation program. My grandmother was an old school Democrat, so she sat spellbound as Kennedy gave his speech.

The day we visited the Capitol, I wore a t-shirt that had an image of a smiling and waving Dan Quayle (then vice president) with "Don't worry, it's all under control!" written underneath. More than a few people did their best to stifle grins or laughter.

We ate lunch in the Senate cafeteria, and enjoyed some of its famous bean soup.

I also undertook some genealogical research in the Library of Congress, which has some rare family history books in its collection. I obtained a great deal of information about my Workman ancestral line. I remember thinking how cool it was that I was researching something in the Library of Congress.

We didn't get to tour the White House, but we did walk past it and take some photos.

The White House

While walking the city's streets, we happened upon a vendor selling clothing, including Malcolm X t-shirts. I decided to purchase a Malcolm X t-shirt. The vendor said something like "are you sure? do you know who he is?" When I started quoting Malcolm and discussing his ideology, the vendor was surprised. I bought the t-shirt, and my mother bought a pair of bright red pants.

The Folger Shakespeare Library was another attraction we visited. It's worth visiting for anyone with the slightest interest in William Shakespeare, and as a fan of his works I wasn't going to miss it. Among other things, it's home to the world's largest collection of his printed works.

The stage inside the Folger Shakespeare Library

We also visited the National Zoo. I particularly remember seeing big cats, giant pandas, some of the smallest monkeys I've ever seen, gorillas, and siamangs swinging from tree to tree making their distinctive vocalizations.

Politicians at work (actually, siamangs)

Panda

It was 100°F (37.7°C) and extremely humid when we visited the zoo. Washington, DC was built on swampland, and it feels downright tropical when the temperature and humidity are both high. When we found a vendor selling lemonade at the zoo, we immediately purchased some. Then some more. And yet more. It was like a magical ambrosia to us. I still remember how delicious and refreshing it was.

During our time in the city, we also saw the Washington Monument, the National Mall, the Lincoln Memorial, the Jefferson Memorial, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, the National Air and Space Museum, and the National Museum of American History.

My mother, myself, and my grandmother reflected in the Vietnam Veterans Memorial

Lincoln Memorial

Lincoln Memorial

Lincoln Memorial

Washington Memorial seen across the National Mall

Jefferson Memorial

The one day we used the car was when we took an excursion to Mount VernonGeorge Washington's rural estate in Virginia, 16 miles (25.7 km) south of Washington, DC.

Mount Vernon

We toured the house and grounds, visited the tomb of George and Martha, and saw some of the carriages Washington used. One of the carriages was given to him as a gift by his friend, Philadelphia Mayor Samuel Powel. Powel, incidentally, was my second cousin seven times removed, so I was excited to see the carriage he gave Washington on display.

We ate dinner at the Mount Vernon Inn, just outside of the estate's grounds. I remember I ordered a filet mignon steak, the first I'd ever had, and then had a slice of lemon chess pie for dessert. The food there was excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment