Saturday, June 13, 1992

13 June 1992: Hartford, Connecticut to Providence, Rhode Island

After breakfast, we drove into the downtown area of Hartford, Connecticut.

At the time, I had information suggesting that my maternal 3rd-great-grandfather James Payne Woodruff's family was from the Hartford area, so I went to the downtown branch of the Hartford Public Library to do some research. Unfortunately, that was the one time on the trip where I came up empty handed. I didn't find anything remotely connected to him. I've since learned that his family was actually from Long IslandNew York.

While I was inside the library, my mother and grandmother went across the street to Burr Mall Park, where there was a fundraising event for the family of a police officer killed on duty. My grandmother's father was a police officer, so she was willing to donate money.

Then we were back on the road. We followed Connecticut Route 2 37 miles (60 km) southeast, Interstate 395 26 miles (42 km) northeast, and U.S. Route 6 20 miles (32 km) east to Providence, Rhode Island.

I don't remember Providence very well. By the time we arrived, I wasn't feeling well, so I didn't get to visit the H.P. Lovecraft and Edgar Allen Poe related sites I wanted to see.

We had reservations at what is now the Hilton Providence, but was then a Holiday Inn. Our rooms had a view of the top of the Rhode Island State House over the roof of a neighboring building. We had dinner and then returned to our rooms early. Since I wasn't feeling well, my mother and grandmother didn't want to go out without me.

Rhode Island State House

Total Travel Distance: 83 miles (134 km)

No comments:

Post a Comment